Cheshire County Council
Cheshire County Council was established by the Local Government Act of 1888 to carry out much of the administrative work formerly undertaken by the courts of quarter sessions. Until the local government reorganisation of 1974, the county council administered the whole of the old geographical county with the exception of the county boroughs of Birkenhead, Chester, Stockport and Wallasey. Boundary changes in 1974 saw the transfer of Wirral to Merseyside and eastern parts of the county to Greater Manchester and Derbyshire and the addition of Warrington and district. Warrington and Halton (Runcorn and Widnes) became unitary authorities in 1998. Cheshire County Council, together with the six district councils that made up Cheshire was abolished in 2009 and replaced with two unitary authorities to serve West and East Cheshire.
Over its history, Cheshire County Council exercised its functions through committees and boards which were subject to frequent changes of names and powers. The records of the County Council are extensive (Cheshire Archives and Local Studies reference CCC). For greater convenience and clarity the records have been arranged in groups, each relating to one of the council's principal areas of responsibility: agriculture, land and buildings; education; finance, policy and resources; health and social services; libraries, arts and countryside; parliamentary and organisation; planning and transportation; emergency services, public protection and police.