Dos and Don'ts
Packaging | Paper Documents | Parchment Documents | Volumes | Maps and Plans | Photographic Materials |
Modern Media | Storage Conditions | Dos and Don'ts | Conservation Service
- Do store items in archival quality products.
- Do ensure that the temperature is reasonably stable in your storage area.
- Do seek professional advice if any item requires repair.
- Don’t attempt any repairs yourself – you could further damage the item.
- Don’t expose items to direct heat or light.
- Don’t handle items more than is absolutely necessary.
The field of conservation is highly skilled and any treatment other than that specified here should not be attempted without professional advice. Such advice is freely given by the Conservation Team at Cheshire Archives and Local Studies.
For further advice on handling or storing your own records or to purchase products to help you, contact the Conservation Team.