Privacy Policy


Who will own my data once I submit it?

Cheshire Archives and Local Studies (CALS) is a shared service of Cheshire West and Chester Council (CWAC) and Cheshire East Council (CEC), hosted by CWAC. This Council is the data controller for the personal information we collect from you.

Why do you need my information?

We collect and use your personal information to deliver the archives service. Without your personal details we cannot keep secure and make accessible unique and irreplaceable collections or deliver our service as widely as possible.

We collect your personal information when you

  • Visit our searchroom
  • Contact us by email, letter, telephone or online contact form
  • Visit our websites with as part of the address
  • Use our social media channels
  • Sign up to our newsletter
  • Sign up to attend an event or training session
  • Add to our collections by giving or depositing archives
  • Place an order with us for copies, publications or research services
  • Participate in surveys

The information that we collect about you is:

  • Information about you, this could include your name, contact details to access our services or biographical details such as date of birth, family details, employment history if you have supplied this as part of an enquiry
  • The IP address that you accessed any of our online services from allows us to use Google analytics to understand and improve our websites

What allows you to use my information?

We collect and use your information as part of our public duties. Our service identifies, collects and cares for archives and publications that are the evidence of Cheshire’s communities lives past and present. We deliver access for all to our collections for information, learning and enjoyment and work to make sure archives survive so that future generations will be able to do the same.

The legislation, policies and guidance that allow us to do this includes but is not limited to:

  • General Data Protection Legislation Article 6 part e
  • General Data Protection Legislation Article 6 Part x
  • Equality Act 2005
  • Local Government (Records) Act 1962
  • Local Government Act 1972
  • Public Records Acts 1958 and 1967
  • Parochial Registers and Records Measure, 1978 (amended 1992)

We collect and use your information after obtaining your consent, for example if you choose to receive our newsletter.

We collect and use your information under a contract with you for example, if you visit our searchroom we collect and verify your name, address and postcode so that you can access unique and irreplaceable archive collections; if you enter into a deposit agreement with us to add to our archive collections; or, to allow us to fulfil an order for one of our paid services for you.

Who will my information be shared with?

If you visit the searchroom we currently share your details with the Archives and Records Association who administer the national CARN reader’s ticket scheme.

Third parties will not have access to personal information we have collected unless the law allows them to do so.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

If we do not collect and process this information we may be unable to deliver some of our services to you.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

When you contact us by email, letter, phone or web form:

  • We retain details of business transactions usually for no longer than 7 years.
  • We retain details of donors and depositors of archives permanently

When you visit our search room and order documents

  • We retain details of documents you have consulted for 10 years for security, copyright and data protection reasons.

When you sign up to receive our newsletter:

  • We retain your details until you unsubscribe from the service.

When you take part in our surveys

  • We will use your details for the purposes you have given them to us (e.g. to provide more detailed feedback) but not usually for more than 2 years.

How will my information be stored?

Information will be stored electronically on a secure corporate network where access is restricted.

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under data protection legislation you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please read the Data Protection and Your Rights page by following the link to the page below and then submit your request by following your preferred method of contact in the 'How do I ask for my personal information' section.

Right to withdraw consent:

You have the right to withdraw your consent to the council processing your information. Please email or write to us to do this. Please be aware that there may be some situations where we are still allowed to keep and use your information, even when you have withdrawn consent.

Correction of inaccurate information:

You have the right to request that the council correct information that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete. You may not always be able to change the information. However, we will correct factual inaccuracies and may include your comments in the records.

The right to be forgotten (erasure):

You have the right to request that the council delete your information when there is no compelling reason for us to continue using it. Please be aware that in certain situations we are still allowed to keep and use your information, even when you request that it should be erased.

The right to object:

You have the right to object to us using your information if you feel we have used it outside the remit of our public tasks or when you have received marketing from us.

Please be aware that in certain situations we are allowed to still use your information if there are compelling legitimate grounds to do so.

When making a request in relation to any of your other rights please read the 'Your other Individual rights request' on the Data Protection and Your Rights page below.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council You can complain directly to the Council's Data Protection team by email or post.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?