Cheshire Archives & Local Studies is closed to visitors due to the latest lockdown restrictions.
The following information tells you what to expect when we are able to welcome you back to the Record Office.
These arrangements for your visit have been developed with the Cheshire West and Chester Council Health and Safety team and in line with current Public Health and Government advice. They may be reviewed at any time as this advice changes.
Please follow the guidance about travelling out of your area before booking a visit.
- Opening times: Tuesday, 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 4pm
Friday, 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 4pm
- Appointment only
- We have space for four researchers accessing original records or local studies publications per morning or afternoon session
- We have space for one researcher using a microfilm reader per morning or afternoon session
- Appointments will be for a morning or afternoon session
- All documents need to be ordered in advance
- Copying and research service is available if you don't wish to travel to the Record Office
- There will be no access to paper catalogues
- Access to staff will be limited and any conversations regarding collections should take place in advance by telephone
- Visitors to the Record Office must wear face coverings at all times
- Gloves should not be worn to handle documents
- Social distancing arrangements will be in place
Arranging an appointment
- If you wish to make an appointment please contact us in advance. We will let you know what time slots we have available or suggest other options for accessing the records remotely
- We will only be taking bookings two weeks in advance to avoid all slots being taken up quickly
- To reduce the number of staff onsite and to allow us to comply with social distancing measures, there won’t be any document production on the day. Please let us know in advance which documents you wish to view. If you would like to speak with an Archivist in advance to help assist with this please let us know and we will arrange a telephone call
Please sign up to the new, free Archives card online in advance and bring ID with you to complete the registration process at the Record Office. This will speed up the signing in process and reduce any unnecessary contact with staff.
What to expect at the Record Office
- We will provide you with an arrival time. It is important that you arrive at this time to prevent a queue at the reception desk
- We will have social distancing and hygiene measures in place. Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance. Please use this before entering the building. Guidance will be displayed regarding symptoms of Covid-19. Please read this and if you are displaying any symptoms do not enter the building
- Floor signage will direct you where to stand to ensure social distancing
- We are supporting the NHS COVID-19 Test and Trace app
- The cloakroom will be closed and instead we will issue you with a tray to place all coats, bags, food and drinks in and leave at the reception area. Staff won’t be able to monitor this area at all times so please don’t bring any valuables with you. Please bring your own pencil and any other stationery you may need in a clear bag. Please remember we don’t allow pens in the searchroom to protect the documents
- You will be allocated a table or microfilm reader and, if requested in advance, a People’s Network PC. Arrows will direct you to the seating area
- All ordered documents will be ready for you at your desk. If many documents are ordered they may also be on a trolley
- The paper catalogues and card indexes will not be available
- Local Studies books and reference material on the open shelves will be accessible. Please leave them on your desk and don’t return to the shelves after use
- You are welcome to purchase a camera permit to take photographs on the day or can order copies from our reprographics service
- Please bring a bank card for contactless payments
- The toilets will be open on a one in one out basis
Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
Cheshire Record Office
Telephone: 44 (0)1244 972574
Contact the Record Office
Parking and Public Transport
Information about public transport and Park and Ride services.
There is limited car parking nearby. Please note that there is no car parking at the Cheshire Record Office. There is limited parking for disabled badge holders on Duke Street.
The searchroom allows easy access. Please contact Cheshire Archives and Local Studies in advance if special parking arrangements are required.
Curiouser and Curiouser: Stories from our Collections
Photo exhibitions on Flickr