Please note, the searchroom, enquiries, research and reprographics service will close for Christmas at 4pm on Thursday 23 December. We will re-open at 9am on Tuesday 4 January.
Update: From Tuesday 30 Novemeber we are asking all visitors to the Record Office to wear a face covering at all times.
Please read the following information to book your visit and so you know what to expect at the Record Office.
Cheshire Archives & Local Studies is open at the following times:
Tuesday, 9am to 12 noon and 1pm to 4pm
Wednesday, 9am to 12 noon and 1pm to 4pm
Thursday, 9am to 12 noon and 1pm to 4pm
- We have space for six researchers accessing original records or local studies publications per morning or afternoon session
- We have space for two researchers using microfilm readers per morning or afternoon session
- Documents can be ordered in advance or on the day
- Visitors to the Record Office are encouraged to wear face coverings at all times
- Gloves should not be worn to handle documents
- Social distancing arrangements will be in place
Arranging an appointment
- If you wish to make an appointment please contact us in advance. We will let you know what time slots we have available or suggest other options for accessing the records remotely
- You don’t need to make an appointment but we cannot always guarantee we will have space. If you can book in advance we can make sure that the items you want to see are ready for you and a table is reserved. Some items are held offsite and we may need up to a week to retrieve them for you
- If you would like to speak with an Archivist in advance let us know and we will arrange a telephone call
Please sign up to the new, free Archives card online in advance and bring ID with you to complete the registration process at the Record Office. This will speed up the signing in process so you can make the most of your time at the Record Office.
What to expect at the Record Office
- We will have social distancing and hygiene measures in place. Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance. Please use this before entering the building. Guidance will be displayed regarding symptoms of Covid-19. Please read this and if you are displaying any symptoms do not enter the building
- There will be a member of staff at reception to help you complete the registration process. We will also need to take your telephone number in case it is needed for Test and Trace
- We are supporting the NHS COVID-19 Test and Trace app
- We will ask you to place all coats, bags, food and drinks in a locker in our cloakroom. Please bring your own pencil and any other stationery you may need in a clear bag. Please remember we don’t allow pens in the searchroom to protect the documents
- You will be allocated a table or microfilm reader and, if requested in advance, a People’s Network PC. Arrows will direct you to the seating area
- All ordered documents will be ready for you at your desk. If many documents are ordered they may also be on a trolley
- We continue to ensure our service has measures in place to support staff and customers:, we ask all visitors to wear a face covering in the Record Office, we are maintaining ventilated spaces, maintaining hand sanitiser stations and keeping screens in place. We will be encouraging customers to distance where possible and maintaining one way systems through public spaces and encouraging all to respect each other and show kindness to others.
- Local Studies books and reference material on the open shelves are accessible.
- You are welcome to purchase a camera permit to take photographs on the day or can order copies from our reprographics service
- The toilets are open on a one in one out basis
These arrangements for your visit have been developed with the Cheshire West and Chester Council Health and Safety team and in line with current Public Health and Government advice. They may be reviewed at any time as this advice changes.
Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
Cheshire Record Office
Telephone: 44 (0)1244 972574
Contact the Record Office
Parking and Public Transport
Information about public transport and Park and Ride services.
There is limited car parking nearby. Please note that there is no car parking at the Cheshire Record Office. There is limited parking for disabled badge holders on Duke Street.
The searchroom allows easy access. Please contact Cheshire Archives and Local Studies in advance if special parking arrangements are required.
Curiouser and Curiouser: Stories from our Collections
Photo exhibitions on Flickr