Please read the following information to book your visit and so you know what to expect at the Record Office.
Cheshire Archives & Local Studies is open at the following times:
Tuesday, 9am to 4pm
Wednesday, 9am to 5pm
Thursday, 9am to 4pm
Saturday opening in 2024: 20 January, 17 February, 16 March, 20 April, 18 May, 15 June, 9am to 4pm
We are closed on bank holidays, in 2024 these are: 1 January, 29 March, 1 April, 6 May, 27 May, 26 August, 25 December, 26 December
Arranging an appointment
- If you wish to make an appointment please contact us in advance.
- You don’t need to make an appointment but we cannot always guarantee we will have space. If you can book in advance we can make sure that the items you want to see are ready for you and a table is reserved. Some items are held offsite and we may need up to a week to retrieve them for you
- If you would like to speak with an Archivist in advance let us know and we will arrange a telephone call
Please sign up to the new, free Archives card online in advance and bring ID with you to complete the registration process at the Record Office. This will speed up the signing in process so you can make the most of your time at the Record Office.
What to expect at the Record Office
- There will be a member of staff at reception to help you complete the registration process.
- We will ask you to place all coats, bags, food and drinks in a locker in our cloakroom. Please bring your own pencil and any other stationery you may need in a clear bag. Please remember we don’t allow pens in the searchroom to protect the documents
- You will be allocated a table or microfilm reader and, if requested in advance, a People’s Network PC.
- All ordered documents will be ready for you at your desk. If many documents are ordered they may also be on a trolley
- Local Studies books and reference material on the open shelves are accessible.
- You are welcome to purchase a camera permit to take photographs on the day or can order copies from our reprographics service
Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
Cheshire Record Office
Telephone: 44 (0)1244 972574
Contact the Record Office
Parking and Public Transport
Information about public transport and Park and Ride services.
There is limited car parking nearby. Please note that there is no car parking at the Cheshire Record Office. There is limited parking for disabled badge holders on Duke Street.
The searchroom allows easy access. Please contact Cheshire Archives and Local Studies in advance if special parking arrangements are required.
Curiouser and Curiouser: Stories from our Collections
Photo exhibitions on Flickr