Dean and Chapter of Chester
The former abbey of St Werburgh, Chester, was one of the new foundations of Henry VIII reconstituted as the Cathedral of Christ and Mary in 1541. It was provided with an establishment of a dean and six prebendaries and an endowment of nine manors and other possessions in Chester and Cheshire formerly belonging to the abbey. The collection includes records (Cheshire Archives and Local Studies reference EDD) relating to the cathedral’s foundation, administration, fabric and estates. There are also some papers relating to schools and some personal papers, maps and photographs.